Risotto with Mushrooms, Zucchini, and Peppers
Prepare ahead to be added to the Basic Risotto once it is cooked.
Risotto; Basic; ( posted in Basics, Vegetables & Sides)
- 1+ 1 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, dusted and sliced
- pinch of salt and white pepper
- 3 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 yellow sweet Italian or bell pepper,stem and seeds removed and thinly sliced into 3 inch strips
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 6 fresh sage leaves, torn into small bits
- 1 medium zucchini,sliced into thin medallions
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- salt and fresh ground white pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmegiano
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute until the mushrooms release their water and darken in color. Add the Marsala and saute until the Marsala is absorbed; about 1 minute. Set aside in a bowl to cool.
Set the same saute pan over medium-low heat and melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions have softened and are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the peppers, rosemary, and sage, and continue to saute until the peppers are softened, about 8-10 minutes. At this point fold in the reserved mushrooms, then evenly scatter the zucchini medallions over the top, and continue to cook 1 minute., then fold the zucchini into the other ingredients and saute until the zucchini begins to look slightly transparent; 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat at once and stir in the lemon zest. Taste and correct with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
Proceed with cooking the Basic Risotto.
As soon as the basic risotto is finished, briefly warm the mushroom, onion, pepper, zucchini mixture and fold it into the risotto to meld the flavors. Fold in the additional 1/2 cup of Parmegiano and serve; the remaining Parmegiano placed on the table for those who need additional cheese.