Casual Late Summer Supper
This slaw has a subtle flavor, slightly tart and slightly sweet to compliment the more robust flavors of Pulled Pork, either served on the side or tucked into a Pulled Pork sandwich. It also goes nicely with grilled seafood or chicken as well!
Serves; 6-8 Best prepared a day in advance for flavors to meld.
For the Slaw
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 head medium Chinese cabbage (or Nappa cabbage), very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions including the green parts
- 1 cup finely julienned peeled carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely sliced and halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely sliced and halved
- 1 cup thinly shaved fennel bulb, outer stalks removed
- 2-3 tablespoons diced jalapeno chilies
- 1/3 cup coriander (cilantro) leaves coarsely chopped
Place the sliced green cabbage and sliced Chinese cabbage in a large bowl. Add salt and cold water and a few ice cubes and soak for 30 minutes. Drain and spin dry in a salad spinner and place in container lined with paper towels along with the green onions, carrots, bell peppers, fennel, and jalapenos tossed in on top. Cover the container and refrigerate until you are ready to assemble the slaw.
Wait until just before serving to add the coriander (cilantro) leaves and toss with the slaw just before adding the dressing.
For the Dressing
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds , crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme leaves (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk together until combined. Store in a sealed container and refrigerate, preferably over night or for 24 hours before combing with the slaw.
Toss the slaw ingredients, add the coriander (cilantro) leaves and then the dressing and toss well. Serve immediately while the slaw is crisp and chilled.