Makes 3 cups
- 1 large ripe mango (or 2 smaller), peeled, pitted and finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, if the mango is not quite ripe and tangy
- 1 shot glass rum or tequila (3 tablespoons)
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes, flame roasted, skin removed,chopped and smashed into pulp (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4-5 jalapeno chilies, flame roasted, skin and seeds removed, and finely diced
(See Tomatoes and Chilies; Grilled,Broiled, or Roasted?)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt + more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves
Combine the diced mango, sugar, and rum or tequila and refrigerate to marinate.
Prepare the tomatoes and chilies as described above, placed in a bowl, adding the onion, lime juice, and salt and combine and refrigerate.
When you are ready to serve the salsa combine the marinated mango with the tomato and chile mixture and add the chopped cilantro leaves. Toss to combine.
Serve with stone ground corn tortilla chips. Also delicious atop grilled chicken, pork chops, or beef!